Conflict
Mekele Hit by Airstrike
An air strike has hit near a hospital in Mekele, the capital of Ethiopia's northern Tigray region, according to the head of another hospital which received casualties, less than a week after fighting shattered a four-month ceasefire.
Kibrom Gebreselassie, chief executive of Ayder General Hospital, tweeted that an area near Mekele General Hospital had been hit late on Tuesday.
The extent of damage and casualties was unclear.
Getachew Reda, the TPLF spokesperson, said on Twitter that at least three bombs had been dropped and that the Mekelle hospital was among the targets.
Another doctor at Ayder confirmed to Reuters he had heard three explosions late at night.
On Tuesday, the TPLF said an offensive had been broken and a counter-offensive launched. He underscored the devastation in the region, which has not had banking, phone or electricity services for more than a year.
Fuel restrictions have also limited aid distribution, while patients are dying for lack of medicine and equipment.
Restoring services is a key demand of the TPLF before peace talks. The government wants talks to begin without conditions.
Reuters was unable to reach people in Mekelle for confirmation because the region has not had phone communication since Ethiopian troops pulled out more than a year ago.
The latest strike follows a hit on a children's play area on Friday that killed seven people, including women and children.
On Saturday, the Ethiopian government communication service said it had pulled its forces out of the town of Kobo, in the Amhara region bordering Tigray, blaming the TPLF for sending "human waves" against the town and endangering civilians.
The government said Tigrayan forces were attacking in two directions - along the border with Amhara to the south and along the border with Afar to the east.
Ethiopian government spokesperson Legesse Tulu, military spokesperson Colonel Getnet Adane and the prime minister's spokesperson Billene Seyoum did not respond to requests for comment.
At war since late 2020, the Tigray People's Liberation Front (TPLF), which controls the region, and Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed's central government have blamed each other for renewed conflict that is disrupting desperately-needed food aid.
See all News Updates of the Day
Africa News Tonight: Hunger, violence stalk Goma residents, US considers AFRICOM changes, Cyclone batters southern Africa
Africa News Tonight: Angola advances DRC talks, Tunisian opposition leaders remain jailed, US firefighters team up with Liberian colleagues
Southern Africa bloc to begin phased withdrawal of troops from DRC
The Southern African Development Community or SADC said Thursday that a summit of regional heads of state had terminated the mandate of its troop deployment in the eastern part of the Democratic Republic of Congo and decided on a "phased withdrawal." SADC lost more than a dozen soldiers in conflict in January. The 16-nation bloc took the decision at a virtual summit on the conflict in the area that has seen some three decades of unrest and claimed millions of lives. "Summit terminated the Mandate of SAMIDRC and directed the commencement of a phased withdrawal of SAMIDRC troops from the DRC," the Southern African bloc said in a communique after the summit. The SADC Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo, SAMIDRC, — made up of soldiers from Malawi, Tanzania and South Africa — was sent to the region in December 2023 to help the government of the DRC, also a SADC member, restore peace and security. SADC extended its mandate late last year.
Africa News Tonight: DRC, US in talks on trade and security, concerns of civil war risk in South Sudan, tariff talk rattles stock markets
University students resume studies in Bukavu as DRC crisis deepens
University students in Bukavu, in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo, are gradually returning to class for the first time since M23 rebels took their city last month. Toto Mufungizi, a student, said while they were home “during these months, we have endured many strange things.” “We stayed at home for at least one month and three weeks. We were confined due to this security situation. Even today, there is no serenity, we cannot move around safely," he told Reuters. The M23 rebel group captured Bukavu, South Kivu's capital, in mid-February, forcing a weeks-long suspension of academic activities. The Official University of Bukavu, UOB, and other institutions have now reopened, but security concerns persist. "We are afraid because we heard rumors that in Goma, students were kidnapped. Here, we are also afraid," third-year student Patient Kaliwe said. Some information for this report was provided by Reuters.