Local media reported that Regragui signed a three-year contract over the weekend.
The official announcement is expected in the coming days, an FRMF representative told AFP, without giving further details.
The FRMF dismissed Vahid Halilhodzic on August 11, because, it said, of "differences of opinion (...) about the suitable preparation of the Atlas Lions" for the World Cup.
The Franco-Bosnian led them to World Cup qualification despite falling out with stars Hakim Ziyech of Chelsea and Noussair Mazraoui of Bayern Munich who he refused to pick.
French-born Regragui was a Moroccan international and played as a defender in France and Spain.
In his one season at Wydad, he led the club to the African Champions League and Moroccan league titles.
The 46-year-old resigned earlier this month.
In Qatar, Morocco will face Croatia, Belgium and Canada in Group F.