Chief of the Pathogen Genomics Laboratory at INRB, Placide Mbala, says that Tests show that the newly discovered case is genetically linked to the 2018-2020 outbreak in North Kivu and Ituri provinces, which killed nearly 2,300 people.
"Our initial findings indicate that this case likely represents a new flare-up of the 2018-2020 Nord Kivu/Ituri outbreak, initiated by transmission of Ebola virus from a persistently infected survivor or a survivor who experienced a relapse." Mbala said in a statement.
The most recent outbreak that killed six people was in a different place in Congo from the first outbreak last year which left five dead. The most recent outbreak was declared in July of this year.
Ebola, known as a hemorrhagic fever virus, can sometimes linger in the eyes, central nervous system and bodily fluids of survivors and flare up years later.
The most recent case was confirmed dead on Aug 15 after being admitted to a hospital in Beni on July 23, the statement said.
Investigations are ongoing to determine the source that came in contact with the new case who has Ebola.
At least 131 contacts of the woman have been identified including 60 front-line healthcare workers, 59 of whom are vaccinated against Ebola, said the statement.
The World Health Organization says that authorities are investigating a suspected Ebola case in Beni after a 46-year-old woman died.
Congo's dense tropical forests are a natural reservoir for the Ebola virus, which causes fever, body aches, and diarrhoea.
The country has recorded 14 outbreaks since 1976. The 2018-2020 outbreak in the east was Congo's largest and the second largest ever recorded, with nearly 3,500 total cases.