Accessibility links

Breaking News

Conflict

ICC in Guinea to Set Trial

FILE: The International Criminal Court (ICC) is seen in The Hague, the Netherlands. Taken 4.5.2006
FILE: The International Criminal Court (ICC) is seen in The Hague, the Netherlands. Taken 4.5.2006

International Criminal Court (ICC) officials have arrived in Guinea to monitor preparations for a much-delayed trial over a massacre that left more than 150 people dead.

In September 2009, troops under then junta chief Moussa Dadis Camara opened fire on opposition supporters rallying at a stadium in the West African country's capital Conakry. At least 157 people were killed, while 109 women were raped.

An investigation wound up in 2017, identifying a dozen suspects, including Camara.

But despite repeated promises by Camara's elected successor, President Alpha Conde, the trial has been repeatedly delayed, sparking criticism from rights campaigners.

Guinea's military junta, which toppled Conde last September, has ordered the trial to start before the massacre's 13th anniversary on September 28, although no date has yet been announced.

ICC officials including deputy prosecutor Mame Mandiaye Niang arrived on Monday night.

Niang said the trip was prompted by junta chief Colonel Mamady Doubouya's instruction to his justice minister to launch the trial before the anniversary.

"It was important for us to be here to see the state of trial preparations," Niang, a Senegalese, told reporters.

"Our wish is that this trial takes place so that the ICC is not required to exercise its authority. We expect a fair trial to be held that will respect the rights of the defence and civil plaintiffs," Niang said.

"We are here to help the process, we will do monitoring to see if everything goes well. We will also offer a sort of expertise and experience to ensure the trial's success," he added.

During their visit, the ICC officials will meet with Guinean judicial authorities and victims' groups, a Guinean judicial source said.

See all News Updates of the Day

Africa News Tonight: Hunger, violence stalk Goma residents, US considers AFRICOM changes, Cyclone batters southern Africa

Africa News Tonight: Hunger, violence stalk Goma residents, US considers AFRICOM changes, Cyclone batters southern Africa
please wait

No media source currently available

0:00 0:24:55 0:00

Africa News Tonight: Angola advances DRC talks, Tunisian opposition leaders remain jailed, US firefighters team up with Liberian colleagues

Africa News Tonight: Angola advances DRC talks, Tunisian opposition leaders remain jailed, US firefighters team up with Liberian colleagues
please wait

No media source currently available

0:00 0:24:55 0:00

Southern Africa bloc to begin phased withdrawal of troops from DRC


Southern Africa bloc to begin phased withdrawal of troops from DRC
please wait

No media source currently available

0:00 0:01:05 0:00

The Southern African Development Community or SADC said Thursday that a summit of regional heads of state had terminated the mandate of its troop deployment in the eastern part of the Democratic Republic of Congo and decided on a "phased withdrawal." SADC lost more than a dozen soldiers in conflict in January. The 16-nation bloc took the decision at a virtual summit on the conflict in the area that has seen some three decades of unrest and claimed millions of lives. "Summit terminated the Mandate of SAMIDRC and directed the commencement of a phased withdrawal of SAMIDRC troops from the DRC," the Southern African bloc said in a communique after the summit. The SADC Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo, SAMIDRC, — made up of soldiers from Malawi, Tanzania and South Africa — was sent to the region in December 2023 to help the government of the DRC, also a SADC member, restore peace and security. SADC extended its mandate late last year.

Africa News Tonight: DRC, US in talks on trade and security, concerns of civil war risk in South Sudan, tariff talk rattles stock markets

Africa News Tonight: DRC, US in talks on trade and security, concerns of civil war risk in South Sudan, tariff talk rattles stock markets
please wait

No media source currently available

0:00 0:24:55 0:00

University students resume studies in Bukavu as DRC crisis deepens

University students resume studies in Bukavu as DRC crisis deepens
please wait

No media source currently available

0:00 0:01:13 0:00

University students in Bukavu, in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo, are gradually returning to class for the first time since M23 rebels took their city last month. Toto Mufungizi, a student, said while they were home “during these months, we have endured many strange things.” “We stayed at home for at least one month and three weeks. We were confined due to this security situation. Even today, there is no serenity, we cannot move around safely," he told Reuters. The M23 rebel group captured Bukavu, South Kivu's capital, in mid-February, forcing a weeks-long suspension of academic activities. The Official University of Bukavu, UOB, and other institutions have now reopened, but security concerns persist. "We are afraid because we heard rumors that in Goma, students were kidnapped. Here, we are also afraid," third-year student Patient Kaliwe said. Some information for this report was provided by Reuters.

Load more

XS
SM
MD
LG