Business and Technology
Glencore to Pay DRC Over Corruption Claims
Swiss mining giant Glencore said Monday it has agreed to pay $180 million to the Democratic Republic of Congo to cover corruption allegations, the latest payment in a series of graft cases it has faced worldwide.
The company said the $180 million settlement with DRC covers "all present and future claims arising from any alleged acts of corruption" by the Glencore Group between 2007 and 2018.
The settlement with DRC is related to investigations by the country's authorities and the US Department of Justice, Glencore said.
Glencore disclosed in 2018 that the US Justice Department had launched a corruption investigation linked to the group's business in Nigeria, Venezuela and DRC.
A year later, Britain's Serious Fraud Office said it was investigating suspicions of bribery by the Glencore group of companies and staff in DRC.
Brazil also opened a probe in 2018 into Glencore and trading groups Vitol and Trafigura over alleged bribery of employees at state-run oil company Petrobras.
In May, the group reached a settlement with Brazilian, British and US authorities, pleading guilty to corruption in Africa and South America.
Glencore agreed to pay a $700 million fine to the United States for fraud and corruption in Brazil, Cameroon, Nigeria and Venezuela, and misappropriation of confidential information in Mexico.
The company was also hit with $486 million in fines and forfeitures for oil price contract manipulation.
Last month, a UK court ordered Glencore to pay £280 million ($313 million) following an investigation into bribes paid to gain preferential access to oil in several African countries.
See all News Updates of the Day
Africa News Tonight: DRC, US in talks on trade and security, concerns of civil war risk in South Sudan, tariff talk rattles stock markets
Africa News Tonight: Summit focuses on Africa energy, WFP warns of hunger in southern Africa, UNICEF says fighters in Sudan assault children
Africa News Tonight: DRC president rejects talks with M23, Trump addresses Congress, US auto tariffs may shake up Nigerian car market
Africa News Tonight: Tunisia breaks with IMF, Nigeria reviews anti-terrorism plans, Israelis mourn deaths as ceasefire deadline approaches
Africa News Tonight: Debt relief on G20 finance ministers’ agenda, US risks losing business in Africa, MSF closes operations in Sudan camp
Africa News Tonight: Kenya works to block mpox spread, Nigeria moves closer to BRICS, China seeks to build support in Africa for its goals
Africa News Tonight: MSF leaves Khartoum hospital, Somalia, Ethiopia mend ties, steel maker quits South Africa in face of cheap imports
Africa News Tonight: Fears grow about freed prisoners in Syria, nations seek new defense strategy, Seychelles sees great-power competition
Africa News Tonight: FBI broadens probe in New Orleans attack, African nations struggle with debt, Carter effort led to landmark peace deal
Africa News Tonight: Carter funeral plans underway, Guinea opposition will not recognize military rule, Apple denies using conflict minerals
Africa News Tonight: Mahama officially declared Ghana winner, no clear leadership in Syria, South African clothing tariffs please unions
South Sudan in Focus: Juba road ban worries boda boda drivers, Kenyan deputy president faces impeachment, data helps improve public services
Africa News Tonight: Saied dominates in Tunisia election, China drives into South Africa auto market, Kenyan runner suspended over drug test
Africa News Tonight: Displaced communities at risk of mpox, Tunisia’s Saied shakes up cabinet, sun-powered tractor debuts in Malawi
Restaurant with Robot Services Causes Excitement in Nairobi
In Nairobi, a new restaurant is generating business and buzz – not just because of the food, but because of the staff. Robots serving dishes is the main attraction for diners who flock to the Robot Café. Juma Majanga reports from Nairobi, Kenya.