Accessibility links

Breaking News

Conflict

ADF Kills Five DRC Civilians

FILE - The wall of a house riddled with bullets is seen in Nzenga, which has been repeatedly attacked by the armed group Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), Beni territory, northeastern Democratic Republic of Congo, Taken 5.24.2021
FILE - The wall of a house riddled with bullets is seen in Nzenga, which has been repeatedly attacked by the armed group Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), Beni territory, northeastern Democratic Republic of Congo, Taken 5.24.2021

Allied Democratic Forces rebels have killed five civilians in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, the army and local officials said Thursday, in the latest violence to hit the troubled region.

The attack took place on Wednesday night in the commune of Bulungo in North Kivu province, said local DRC army spokesman Captain Antony Mualushayi.

"After clashes with the army, these jihadists fled. Unfortunately they executed five civilian hostages," he said.

The ADF -- which the Islamic State group claims as its Central African offshoot -- is among the most violent of over 120 armed groups that roam eastern DRC.

It has been accused of slaughtering thousands of DRC civilians and carrying out bomb attacks in neighboring Uganda.

Captain Mualushayi said that DRC troops had killed two ADF fighters and were now in control of the Bulungo area, which borders Uganda, and appealed for calm.

Lewis Thembo, the head of a Bulungo civil society group, said three people ADF fighters had abducted earlier from a nearby village were among those killed on Wednesday.

"Our compatriots were killed with machetes," he said.

The DRC and Uganda launched a joint offensive against the ADF in November 2021, but the militia continues to wreak havoc across swathes of territory.

In late August, both countries announced that they were planning a fourth phase to their operations against the ADF.

DRC security officials have also governed North Kivu and neighboring Ituri province since last year in a bid to curb militia violence. The measure has failed to stop continued attacks.

See all News Updates of the Day

Africa News Tonight: Hunger, violence stalk Goma residents, US considers AFRICOM changes, Cyclone batters southern Africa

Africa News Tonight: Hunger, violence stalk Goma residents, US considers AFRICOM changes, Cyclone batters southern Africa
please wait

No media source currently available

0:00 0:24:55 0:00

Africa News Tonight: Angola advances DRC talks, Tunisian opposition leaders remain jailed, US firefighters team up with Liberian colleagues

Africa News Tonight: Angola advances DRC talks, Tunisian opposition leaders remain jailed, US firefighters team up with Liberian colleagues
please wait

No media source currently available

0:00 0:24:55 0:00

Southern Africa bloc to begin phased withdrawal of troops from DRC


Southern Africa bloc to begin phased withdrawal of troops from DRC
please wait

No media source currently available

0:00 0:01:05 0:00

The Southern African Development Community or SADC said Thursday that a summit of regional heads of state had terminated the mandate of its troop deployment in the eastern part of the Democratic Republic of Congo and decided on a "phased withdrawal." SADC lost more than a dozen soldiers in conflict in January. The 16-nation bloc took the decision at a virtual summit on the conflict in the area that has seen some three decades of unrest and claimed millions of lives. "Summit terminated the Mandate of SAMIDRC and directed the commencement of a phased withdrawal of SAMIDRC troops from the DRC," the Southern African bloc said in a communique after the summit. The SADC Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo, SAMIDRC, — made up of soldiers from Malawi, Tanzania and South Africa — was sent to the region in December 2023 to help the government of the DRC, also a SADC member, restore peace and security. SADC extended its mandate late last year.

Africa News Tonight: DRC, US in talks on trade and security, concerns of civil war risk in South Sudan, tariff talk rattles stock markets

Africa News Tonight: DRC, US in talks on trade and security, concerns of civil war risk in South Sudan, tariff talk rattles stock markets
please wait

No media source currently available

0:00 0:24:55 0:00

University students resume studies in Bukavu as DRC crisis deepens

University students resume studies in Bukavu as DRC crisis deepens
please wait

No media source currently available

0:00 0:01:13 0:00

University students in Bukavu, in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo, are gradually returning to class for the first time since M23 rebels took their city last month. Toto Mufungizi, a student, said while they were home “during these months, we have endured many strange things.” “We stayed at home for at least one month and three weeks. We were confined due to this security situation. Even today, there is no serenity, we cannot move around safely," he told Reuters. The M23 rebel group captured Bukavu, South Kivu's capital, in mid-February, forcing a weeks-long suspension of academic activities. The Official University of Bukavu, UOB, and other institutions have now reopened, but security concerns persist. "We are afraid because we heard rumors that in Goma, students were kidnapped. Here, we are also afraid," third-year student Patient Kaliwe said. Some information for this report was provided by Reuters.

Load more

XS
SM
MD
LG